Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Welcome to 2010

Ten years ago, I was just finishing up a Masters degree in Christian Education.

Ten years ago, I celebrated my first wedding anniversary.

Ten years ago, I didn't even know if wanted to children.

Ten years ago, I'd never heard of Kingwood, TX.

Ten years ago, I wanted a house, not an apartment, a new car, and a DVD player.

Ten years ago, I knew I wanted to serve God in full-time ministry but didn't know if I'd find a church that would have a woman on staff.

Now, so much has changed. I look at that list and think that I could not even imagine what God would do or where He would take us. As I reflect on this, and, the many other things God has done in the last 10 years, I can quickly say that He has done so much to shape and teach me His truths. He gave me not one, but two, children to love unconditionally. He gave me not one, but two, churches to serve with my passion teaching children about God. He has given us good things (and has taken some away too). He has seen us through good and bad of married life. God is good!

So, what about the next ten years? Where will you be in 2020? I don't know, and, neither do you! But, I do know that I want to:

In ten years, have a 16 and 11 year old that loves God with all their heart, soul, mind and strength.

In ten years, have a marriage that has continued to grow strong and is an example of faith to our children and those around us.

In ten years, know that the church families I have served have grown closer to God through the time and effort that myself and countless others have put into ministering to them.

In ten years, I'd like to have more things, debt paid off, and maybe even that last college degree I keep pondering but I know none of that will matter as long as I have faithful children, a loving marriage, and a church home that challenges my Christian walk.

So, my question to you, parents, in 10 years, what do you want for your children? Because the person you want your children and your family to be, will be determined by how you spend the days, weeks and months of the next 10 years. Pray about that! If you want a healthier marriage, faithful kids, or even the material debts paid off, it matters what you do with your time. It matters what example you are to your family. And, it matters with how you approach God and the trust you put in Him.

May 2010 and beyond be filled with God's love and blessing on your family.

No comments: