Tuesday, November 8, 2011

More Information on Bullying

This past Sunday, I was given the opportunity to use a small amount of our worship assembly to talk with our children about the topic of bullying. I know many of our own kids are hurting because they are being picked on, name called, or because of physical behaviors directed to them at school and other events. In case you weren't there, I gave the children these three points to remember for when they are being bullied. 1) God loves you and the child that is picking on you. Go to God in prayer and pray for yourself and that child. 2) God gave you many caring adults in the form of parents, teachers, and Sunday School teachers. Tell them what is happening. 3) God gave you a church family that loves and cares for you and wants you to always feel safe. The church family can help by showing love and attention to the children during our meeting times. Jim Herman, one of our shepherds, then lead a beautiful prayer of blessing and protection over our children.

 I've had several parents come to me to tell me that their children are feeling powerless in situations of being bullied. Remember to keep the door of communication open. Read the articles in the earlier post on bullying. Also, Jeannie Herman sent me this link: www.stopbullying.gov. It has excellent resources for all ages.

No comments: